Key accomplishments of 2019
As 2019 draws to a close, we are proud to reflect on our accomplishments of the year and look forward to 2020. This was a big year for Texas PSR. Here are some of the key accomplishments of 2019:
- Created a successful Call to Action on Climate and Health, signed by over 150 Texas physicians and other healthcare professionals and organizations, urging the Texas Congressional delegation to pursue strong and effective climate legislation.
- Raised awareness about the health effects of climate change through the publication of an op-ed in the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram.and several letters to the editor, and meetings with Texas Medical Association and the Texas Public Health Coalition.
- Secured funding for a new elective on environmental health to be offered in the spring at Dell Medical School. (Course development is underway, and multiple TX PSR board members will be teaching the class.)
- Conducted five classes of our Toxic-Free Child program at AVANCE.
- Welcomed two medical students to serve as board members, Hasan Seede (UT Southwestern) and Sean Liu (Baylor College of Medicine).
- Mary Ann Gonzales, Texas PSR President, was elected to the National PSR board.
- Steve McKee, Texas PSR Executive Director, served as a co-chair of One PSR, the national network of local chapters of Physicians for Social Responsibility.
- Continued extensive outreach and education on environmental health and other PSR priorities via social media. (Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!)